Roses and Flamingos

A Flamboyance of Flamingos!

 Flamingos are just so exciting to paint! They exude attitude with all of their poses that as an artist makes them appealing. It began at th...

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Paris Poppy Pastel



On our artist trip to France in 2010, after landing at Charles de Gaule airport,  we had a couple of hours to wait at the Gare d'Austerlitz before heading south to Gueret.  We were jet lagged, full of breakfast pastries, going on adrenalin and decided to take a walk around the neighborhood.  To my surprise (I should have investigated this part of our trip!) two blocks away, we stumbled on the "Jardin des Plantes."  It is the oldest botanical garden in the world.  The sun was shining, the bees were literally buzzing like droning drums, the whole view was absolutely breathtaking.

We all took many photos of the site trying to capture the essence of beauty we were seeing.  The contrast of the orange and white poppies, the blue forget me nots and the other flowers was spectacular.  I painted a little scene in my travel journal but never got around to creating a watercolor painting.  I decided this flower garden would be great study for a pastel painting in the class I'm taking.  I do think I'm falling in love with pastels!

Here is the watercolor I painted in my travel journal.


1 comment: