Roses and Flamingos

A Flamboyance of Flamingos!

 Flamingos are just so exciting to paint! They exude attitude with all of their poses that as an artist makes them appealing. It began at th...

Monday, September 3, 2012

Life is a Bed of Violets

St. Louis based Gateway Pet Guardians is having a "Soiree for Strays" fundraiser for pet rescue.  I generally shy away from painting animals, but decided to take my courage in hand and try something I don't feel confident in painting.  Give me a rose - I can paint it in a 100 ways - a pet?  That's a different story.  But I took this photo of our darling Peaches, a border collie mix, the first day we brought her home from the St. Francois Society in St. Louis and her eyes in that photo always spoke to me.  I would take her on a leash out the front door because without a leash, she would go hide in the bushes.  On the leash I could keep her nearer to me as she adjusted to her new surroundings.  She loved laying in the bed of violets and painter's palette.   She was so shy and timid.....for a week.  Then she became the ruling royalty of the house (in her mind and in my husband's as well!)  Peaches is now two and a half years old and thriving, trying to energize her owners who happen to be senior citizens who love her dearly, but have a hard time keeping up with her energy level!

I could have chosen several titles for this painting - "Saving Miss Daisy" because that was her name when we adopted her, or "Peaches in the Violets" or "Home at Last" - but I think "Life is a bed of Violets" describes pretty well the life she now lives as part of our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment