Roses and Flamingos

A Flamboyance of Flamingos!

 Flamingos are just so exciting to paint! They exude attitude with all of their poses that as an artist makes them appealing. It began at th...

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Crotons, Christmas and Color


This past Christmas season as I gave this croton plant to a friend and fellow artist as a hostess gift, I mentioned it would be a lovely subject to paint.  It was red and green Christmas colors but not your typical Christmas poinsettia that I traditionally paint and teach during the holiday season.  My friend invited me to come back that following week and enjoy a paint day together - and I did!  The first photo is what I considered the finished painting until I took it to an art guild meeting critique.  I was trying to keep to a limited palette of green and red, but Jerry Thomas, an artist from whom I've learned volumes, encouraged me to push the palette to include blues and purples.  Voila! the 2nd photo shows the improvement by pushing the palette.  Thanks Jerry!

No comments:

Post a Comment