Roses and Flamingos

A Flamboyance of Flamingos!

 Flamingos are just so exciting to paint! They exude attitude with all of their poses that as an artist makes them appealing. It began at th...

Monday, August 6, 2012

Cabin Fever Flower - Cloeme

Here is the latest in what is turning into the "Cabin Fever Collection."  Cloeme have such stunning blossoms - like fireworks in your garden with their spiky projections on top of tall stalks.  My inspiration photos were taken at a couple of different gardens.  One was from the last time they grew in my garden here.  They usually come back every year, but when I used a pre-emergent one spring to head off the weeds, it also interrupted the plant cycle.  But I do have the photos!  When we move, I would like to include them in my next garden.


After drawing the sketch I decided to cut petals from masking tape to be able to paint the background right over the blossoms. Once the background was in, I removed the tape and tried to keep a light touch in adding the rose colored petals. I'm probably not finished with this painting yet.  Looking at it from across on the room, on my mantel, it doesn't have the pop effect I tried to get. Without overworking it, I want to add some touches of value that will be seen effectively from a distance as well as close up.  The trick will be not to overwork it.

No comments:

Post a Comment